Sometimes, it is quite fun to let a piece of paper make a decision for us. Have ever heard paper fortune tellers, or also known as chatterboxes, or cootie catchers? Such the tools might be common from your grade school days, which helped time pass and brought a laugh. Today, they still do not decrease their attraction. You are able to play them for nostalgia sake, or when you cannot make that “difficult” decision on your own. How to make a fortune teller origami are shown as follows:
What do you need?
- Materials: A sheet of paper
- Tools: Scissors and crayons/markers for more colorful tones!
- Lay the sheet of paper on a flat surface.
- Fold Pull the bottom left corner over to the right edge. Then, firmly press along the fold.
- The first fold is still in place. At the same time, fold the bottom right corner over to the left edge. Then, firmly press along the fold.
- Cut off the top portion of paper, which has not been folded.
- Unfold the paper and press flat. You’ll end up with a square piece of paper.
- Fold the bottom right corner up to the center of the square, and then firmly press along the fold. Repeat this step with other remaining corners. After that, you end up with the smaller square.
- Flip the smaller square over so that the folds will be on the back side.
- Fold all corners up to the middle of the square once again. Then, firmly press along the fold. Once all corners have been folded, the square should look like smaller.
- Fold the square in half.
- Unfold and repeat step 9 with the other direction.
- Insert your thumb and pointer fingers under each petal. Then, press up and towards the center of the square so that peaks can form on the tops of every outer corner. Don’t forget to fill in those boxes! Open up the fortune teller origami and lay it flat in order that the 4 outer boxes are facing up.
- The outer boxes should be labeled with colors. You can grab a crayon or pen to and label each box with different colors.
- Flip the piece over and label each of the triangular sections with numbers. They may be any number you like. Just make sure that the higher the number, the more work your fingers must do!
- Final, fold back the triangle sections and write any type of fortunes (names of restaurants or paint colors) on the insides of each section. It is better to end up with 8 fortunes! Refold your Chinese fortune teller paper and assist your loved ones in making informed decisions. Have fun!
The fortune teller origami works by having the person whose fortune is being told by choosing any color labeled on the outer folds. You will then spell out that color by moving the sides in and out about 4 times. After spelling out the color, you should freeze hands in whichever position the questioner is in when he lands on the last letter. Four numbers should be showing when you look inside the toy. Have the questioner pick one of these 4 numbers. Move the toy that exact number of times. Then, have him choose one last number. Flip the paper over to disclose the fortune that corresponds with the last number he just picked.